The block of stone from Monte Grappa
The recollection of a heroic episode of the First World War
This block comes directly from Grappa, a mountain located in the Venetian Pre-Alps, between the Brenta Canal, the Piave Valley and Feltrino. Between 13 and 26 November 1917, the mountain became the scene of the First Battle of the Piave, a heroic episode from First World War. After the disaster of Caporetto, on this occasion the Italian forces proved that they were capable of reorganising and valiantly opposing the troops of the German Empire and the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
The block of stone from Monte Grappa was placed here in 1921 to coincide with the burial of the body of the Unknown Soldier in the Altar of the Fatherland. It was placed under the plaque with the text of the so-called Bulletin of Victory, that is, the document with which General Armando Diaz, Supreme commander of the Italian Royal Army, on 4 November 1918 announced the victory of Italy in the First World War.